Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Blog Post For Today

Last semester Spring 2010 at Washburn University, the class was given an extra credit opportunity by Dr. Chorba for his introduction to mass media class. The circumstances where that we would watch "The East Side Of L.A.", at six o'clock that evening; shortly after discuss similarities seen in the movie and compare it to Arizona's new law concerning immigration. This film stared Cheech Marin, a very funny comedian and I love most of his movies. However, Dr.Chorba couldn't make the extra credit that evening, so he asked a sub to do the extra credit for him.

The sub was a lady from the history department at Washburn University. After the movie, every one talked about how poorly the illegal immigrants where treated, in which they were. I am 1/4 Mexican and Catholic, but I do not believe immigrating illegally; I made my point quite clear to the class. I said that illegal immigrants come to this country by the thousands every day; they are over crowed because they have a large family which is linked to Catholicism.

The living conditions in Mexico are ruthless, they live in huts in many parts of the country, the water in untreated and their style of living is very hectic. There is a higher rate of murders in Mexico, every 45 seconds in Mexico a female is kidnapped and in other cases raped; plus the drug lords and gangs have taken a negative influence in the United States of Mexico. Therefore, work is hard to find so the Father of the house goes to the U.S. with his sons or alone; then after awhile the females and the children want to be with their fathers.

My question was to the instructor “If an illegal immigrant's child comes to the U.S. with the rest of his family, and goes to school; most likely in a city with high crime rate. Once their child graduates, the parents are going to expect their children to get a good job and have family, to do better than themselves. However, they can't their illegal, if they try to strive higher and get the better paying job they will be deported. This goes mainly for the modern day Hispanic youth, when they feel these pressures they either join gangs, do drugs,woman go into prostitution in some cases. Because most feel if they do better and strive higher, they maybe departed and separated from their immediate family. In a sense spreading poverty and drugs violence into society, which seems a lot like modern day Mexico? Which is the negative half;however, Mexicans have rich culture,language,most have strong work ethic, and great food.

I made a point, when the Arizona Immigration Law was passed, the Mexican president warned Mexican citizens to avoid Arizona at all cost, aiding illegal immigration. Mexico is so over populated that their own country doesn't even want them. I come from a heavy influenced Mexican family, my Great Grandmother was from Jailsco Mexico, therefore, I am familiar with the positives and negatives of Mexican families, my cousins etc. I think immigration is good, illegal immigrants are hard workers, but youth these days like to just coast, go by with the bare minimum. I work at a grocery store and their so many people with vision cards it makes me sick, I understand if they work hard and they need it, but people know how to play the system, people depend on the government too much.

However, illegal immigrants and their children’s journey to the U.S. is a falsehood a sham, they cannot rise above their immigration level and poverty no matter where they go. This is a matter for Mexico to become a better country, to create not an American dream, but a Mexican dream for its own citizens. After I said this some of the class agreed with me, the instructor did not, simply because she is married to an illegal immigrant; so I knew what she was standing up for.
However, I believe that if the immigrants want to come to the U.S. their more than welcome, but they have to do it legally. Which does take longer but it is the right thing to do, I made a point in class, illegal immigrants want to work and live here the immigrants must obey and abide by our laws.

The United States is one of the greatest counties in the world; we should be proud to be Americans, to be American is a privilege not a right. Illegal immigrants will come here and voice they have rights and the freedom of speech, because they are in the land of the free. It doesn’t work that why, they may have rights as a human begin, but not as an American citizen, therefore illegal immigrants have no say and must participate voting etc. The federal government needs to enforce the laws, which is difficult but in time the matter will become simpler.
I honestly didn’t want to talk about illegal immigration, simply because it’s a sore topic to discuss and I don’t want to sound harsh but sometimes it hurts to be fair. However, this is a more recent situation that I remember making a case and when my opinion was important. I did get people’s attention, and I wish I wasn’t so harsh because I may have got a little more support, but surprise with the amount of folks who did agree with me. However, for the ones who agreed they made me feel successful in the case that I presented. Everything in this blog I mentioned to the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment