Friday, July 9, 2010

College English- ENG:300
Mr.Davis
Derek Koehler
07/9/10
Blog #4 – College Pressures
Being in college is a blessing, however education comes with many hardships and difficulties found in life an in adulthood. In Fall 2007, I was a freshman at Highland Community College. Like any other freshman, I was eager to begin a new chapter in my life, live through experiences, makes friends, most of all succeed and make my parents proud. I had a goal to be accepted into the Radiology Program at Washburn University; later on I was accepted. Being a student from a private Catholic school, now going to a school without a uniform and many walks of life made me nervous.

The hardships that I found in the beginning of my college education were developing effective study habits. I had no clue in where to begin to search sources for tips to help myself find the correct study habits for me to succeed. I simply found my study habits, as if it were a golf swing. I soon learned I was an auditory learner and benefited from reciting material such as physiology and many science related classes.

In high school I was not the most popular person, though I did plays sports such as basketball, football, golf, soccer and was a member of the swim team. I was a very shy and a simple person. I was the type a guy who had a few good friends and always had a girlfriend. Not once did I go to any parties and never meant to make any attempt to break the rules. My home town is very small and I did not want to make any fowl reputations for myself and even more for my family. When I began college, I knew being social was necessary to make friends, to make my college experience more enjoyable. I learned that being social is not a burden; I am a great listener and love being there for friends. Those friends I made at Highland, I still talk to today. Making friends at a community college is much easier, than making friends at a University in my opinion.

In today's reading “College Pressures”, by William Zinsser on page four hundred he talks about students aiming for such fields of medical professions. I simply agree with him because in health care one will always have a job.” I wanted an exact paved road to success, a road telling me what classes I am to take in order to reach my destination” , as Zinsser stated . Zinsser has an amazing and precise knowledge of college students in modern society. I was pressured in making my decision in becoming a radiology tech. I enjoyed a semester of the experience and received full credits. Though I decided lying to myself is not going to make me happy. Now my current major, makes me happy and I plan on becoming successful.

Note that I totally agree with Zinsser, when he stated “Along with economic pressure goes parental pressure”. Inevitably, the two are deeply intertwined (Pg 400). I personally felt these to pressures greater than all others. This is because my parents are paying for my education and I want to do well, not willing to disappoint them; they simply don't want any surprises. This leads to economical pressure, for I must pay my parents back, including my loans. Also if my grades are good and I have a GPA of a 3.0, I save money insurance.

Work pressures, where amongst my college lifetime pressures. I worked during school every year and have worked three different jobs every year, not all at once. However, I understand working is important because it gives me the realization the education and the luxuries of life are not free. I note most importantly the value of a dollar. I am grateful for college and my job and health, most of all that I have survived this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment